Go to countryliving.com for more info.
I haven't tried it yet, but plan to on a cold winter day.
Love the smell of bread baking in the oven.
From Country Living
This recipe has been tested by Country Living
Cream cheese is the surprise ingredient in these bite-size delights.
Recipes adapted from Callie's Biscuits & Southern Traditions by Carrie Morey. Copyright 2013 by Carrie Morey. Reprinted by permission of Atria Books, a Division of Simon & Schuster Buy the book
Yields: 10 biscuitsTotal Time: 40 min
Prep Time: 20 min
Oven Temp: 500
- 2 cup(s) self-rising flour, plus at least 1 cup more for dusting work surface
- 1/2 stick(s) butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup(s) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup(s) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F, with a rack set in the middle. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, butter pieces, and cream cheese, using your fingers to cut in the butter and cream cheese until the mixture resembles cottage cheese. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Add the buttermilk, and mix with your hands or a small rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle flour over the dough. Run a rubber spatula between the bowl and the dough, then sprinkle the exposed dough with more flour.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Generously sprinkle dough and rolling pin with flour. Roll out to a 1/2-inch-thick oval. (Do not knead.)
- Pour about 1/2 cup flour into a small bowl. Dip a 2-inch square metal biscuit cutter (see Note) into the flour; then cut out biscuits, dipping the cutter back into the flour as needed (as long as the dough remains wet on the inside, you can use as much flour on the outside as needed to handle it). Gather excess dough, roll it out to a 1/2-inch-thick oval, and continue cutting biscuits as above. Place biscuits, sides touching, in a cast-iron skillet or baking pan fitted with parchment. Brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter.
- Place pan in the oven and immediately reduce temperature to 450 degrees F. Bake biscuits until tops are golden, 16 to 18 minutes, rotating halfway through.