(This is a Hints from Hubby Recipe--his favorite summer salad.
He adds a tad more sugar and sweet onions. Add or subtract
ingredients to taste.)
2-3 medium cucumbers
1 tablespoon salt
3/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Wash and peel cucumbers--fresh out of the garden is best, or visit the farmer's market.
2. Slice cucumbers into quarter inch slices. (Also slice onions if desired)
3. Place slices in deep bowl, sprinkle every few layers with salt.
4. Cover cucumbers (and onions) with plate and weight down with heavy object.
5. Let stand at room temp. for at least 2 hours.
6. Drain slices and press out remaining liquid.
7. Stir together above ingredients, pour over slices.
8. Cover, refrigerate at least 4 hours.
9. Serve, refrigerate leftovers.