GARDEN FRESH STUFFED PEPPERS
It's time again for the peppers and 'maters
in the garden.
That usually means at least one or two crock pots
full of Stuffed Peppers.
This recipe is from my Mom,
but I have tweaked it bit.
It smells like autumn when it is cooking!
Fresh green peppers
Fresh onion--if available, optional
Ground meat, any kind
Worcestershire sauce and Ketchup
1. Brown the meat with onion,
chop and drain.
Add Worcestershire sauce and ketchup to taste.
(Mom used to make meat balls to fit into the peppers.
Kind of like mini meatloafs.) To save time, I just
chop up all the meat to fill the peppers.
2. Cut tops of peppers off, and scoop out seeds.
This will make 'bowls' to fill with meat.
3. Skin the tomatoes, chop.
(In the winter a quart of canned 'maters can be used.)
4. Place as many peppers that will fit in a lined crock pot.
Fill with meat mixture.
5. Pour chopped tomatoes around and on top of peppers.
6. A small amount of water may need to be added to crock.
7. Cook on high for a few hours, then turn to low until peppers are tender.
8. Serve over rice or pasta.
9. Leftovers freezes well.