Martha Jean's Spaghetti
aka A Farmer's Wife Skillet Meal
Martha Jean was the wife
of a farmer we knew in Indiana.
This was her 'go to' easy, one skillet
meal. I have tweaked the recipe a bit
to use products that were not available
years ago when she gave me this recipe.
1 pound ground meat (your choice of type of meat)
1 small onion
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Pinch of oregano, Italian seasoning, basil, garlic salt
(or season to taste)
Small cut spaghetti pasta-1 to 2 cups--(Barilla is the only brand I have found that makes this pasta--it is cut into about 1 inch pieces. And yes, it really does taste different than longer pasta broken into pieces. However, if you can't find this product, just use broken spaghetti)
1/2 cup ketchup
1 Quart Tomato juice, or home canned 'maters
1. Brown meat with onion. Drain.
2. Add seasonings.
3. Add ketchup and tomatoes.
4. Sprinkle pasta on top.
5. Mix all together making sure pasta is covered.
6. Cover, simmer for 30-45 minutes or until pasta is soft.
7. Check throughout cooking to prevent sticking.